Description: Barguzinskiy state natural biospheric preserve is one of the oldest preserves of Russia, founded decision of Irkutsk governor general dated May 17, 1916 ; and at the beginning 1917 g. the creation of preserve was designed by the decision of government.
Preserve is located on the western slopes of Transbaikal ridge, inverted to the northeastern coast of Baykal in the North- Baikal region of the republic Of Buryatiya.
The main reason for the creation of preserve was a catastrophic drop in the peltry and, in particular, sable trade. For the rescuing of sable from the complete destruction and organizing the preserves were organized the expeditions to Baykal, Kamchatka and [Sayany]. According to the results of inspection in the number of others (Sayan and other) was designed Barguzinskiy preserve. Initially near the preserve was removed territory in 200 thousand GA, to which from the north adjoined Barguzinskiy fiscal hunting section with area about 300 thousand GA, called to serve its kind as the experimental base of sable preserve.
The first years of existence of preserve coincided with the period of revolution, Civil War and postwar ruin. In 1917 entire state of the protection of preserve and fiscal hunting section composed only 5 people. Only because of their selflessness the territory of preserve was preserved from the plunder in these difficult years.
In August 1926 the council of peoples commissars of the RSFSR confirmed the establishment Of [barguzinskogo] sable preserve with the scientifically- trade station and the nursery of trade animals.
In 1937 the area of absolute preserve was extended to 570 thousand GA due to the abolition of hunting- operational section and propagation of forbidden regime to its territory.
In 1951 the area of preserve was reduced to 52,4 thousand GA, and the [otchuzhdennaya] territory was transmitted to North- Baikal and [Barguzinskomu] forest managements.
They in 1958 enlarged preserve to 248 thousand GA, including 15 thousand GA of the coastal water area of Baykal.
In 1968 and 1975 along the northern and southern boundaries were established guarding zones in 90 thousand and 5,4 thousand GA respectively.
In 1986 after the creation of Baikal national park the northern guarding zone of the latter went away for its control. Area 374 322
In 1986 Barguzinskiy preserve obtained status of biospheric.
In 1996 Barguzinskiy preserve in the number of another Baikal [OOPT] was included in the list of the world cultural and natural heritage of UNESCO (nomination of "Baykal" lake;). The initially central base of preserve was arranged in Davshe settlement on the shore of Baykal; however, because of the difficulties with the guarantee of activity of base in the place distant from a rayon center, the executive management of preserve was transferred in g. it was Nizhne-Angarsk, and scientific division - in Ulan-Ude. Davshe settlement now is the basic hospital of preserve. In the preserve there is a museum of nature. The visit of the museum of preserve enters into the program of excursion stages along Lake. Baykal.