The TU-2 aircraft designed by A. N. Tupolev was powered by
two air-cooled 14-cylinder engines ASh-821R, 2100 hp each.
The engines were designed by A. D. Shvefsov.
During the period of 1947 to 1950 the Plant manufactured 218
aircrafts of this type of compensate for aircraft lost by the Air
Forces at the conclusive stage of the war.
The use of a targe number of new grades of rolled metal
products in the construction of the TU-2 aircraft required
development of new technological methods of metal treatment
at the Plant. Fitting of the TU-2 aircraft with modern airborne
equipment which permitted precision bombing both in level
flight and in dive, required building of a special laboratory
complex at the Plant.
The aircraft was notable for its excellent flying and tactical
performance, it could continue flight with one of its engine
The aircraft was adopted in China. North Korea, Bulgaria,
Poland, Romania and in Hungary.